But seriously, what do you REALLY need in your hospital bag…?
Are you a first-time mom (or even second, third, fourth…) who is trying to figure out what to pack in her hospital bag?
I remember the first time I packed for baby Rosie I seriously overpacked. Overpacked meaning I had probably 10 pairs of clothing for her, a few outfit changes for myself, all the toiletries, so on and so forth.
I think it was just the excitement of preparing for a new baby and not knowing what to pack exactly. There were so many items I did not need to bring. So, this time around I decided to keep it easy-peasy.
As cute as you want to look after pushing a bowling ball out of your hoo-ha, it ain’t happening (at least for me it isn’t, haha).
So, this time around, I’m not bringing a cute outfit to the hospital, a ton of makeup or my hair straighter/hair dryer.
Let’s keep this S I M P L E shall we?
Mommy’s Hospital Bag Items –
- PJ’s – button-down tops are great for nursing! Let’s be honest, your shirt will be open 99.9% of the time if planning on breastfeeding. I found some soft ones here and am obsessed with the green silk pajamas here.
- Robe – loving this robe in navy and burgundy. I tend to focus on wearing darker colors right after giving birth. Ya know, because of the blood. TMI? So sorry.
- Clothes to wear home. Preferably something like this.
- Dark underwear
- Large pads (the larger the better). Usually, the hospital provides these but I recommend bringing some just in case. Padsicles are awesome too. You can check out my post on them here.
- Nursing Bras if you plan on nursing.
- Nursing Cover – I got this one at my sprinkle. I just love the print!
- Nipple Cream because you betcha those nipples will get sore. Oh, the joys of motherhood! Another thing I’ve used in the past is coconut oil
Daddy’s Hospital Bag Items –
- Snacks (check out my iHerb haul for some healthy and delicious snacks)
- Blanket & Pillow for Sleeping
Men are just so easy, ha!
RELATED POST: Padsicles – Postpartum Cold Packs
Baby’s Hospital Bag Items –
- Baby Blankets – we always keep one from the hospital but we bring one from home so it smells like us
- Hats – our baby girl has an embroidered hat that she will wear and if she is anything like her older sister… she won’t have much hair!
- Pacifiers – we will be bringing some just in case but she may not want them. Our favorite kinds are the soothies and the wubbanubs
- Going Home Outfit – we got ours picked out!
- Two Other Outfits “just in case” and accessories! Cannot forget the bows!
- Mittens/Booties – mittens in case she likes to scratch and booties because they are cute… can’t help it! *Update – we never had to use the mittens because both Rosie and Luna never scratched their faces. However, I have a lot of friends who swear by them.
- Car Seat/Base – IMPORTANT: be sure the car seat has not expired. Most have a six-year life span.
- Stocked Diaper Bag – we just got this new diaper backpack at the sprinkle and we love it!
- Boppy Pillow – this makes it easier to hold the baby and nurse
- Baby Books
Misc Hospital Bag Items –
- Birth Plan
- Hospital Forms
- Paperwork for Baby
- Pediatrician’s Contact Information
- Drivers License
- Social Security Card
- Phone Charger
Check out some of my favorite hospital bags:
Even though it seems like a lot it is definitely a lot less than I packed last time… crazy, I know. Below is the checklist that you can print out and use!
Print Your Checklist Here: Hospital Bag Checklist – FREE PRINTABLE